Thursday, October 16, 2008

Old Phoebe Caulfield.

This is an illustration that I drew of a young J. D. Salinger reading to his children from an early draft of The Catcher in the Rye. He's reading the portion where Holden is describing his 10 year old sister Phoebe: "You'd like her. I mean if you tell old Phoebe something, she knows exactly what the hell you're talking about. I mean you can even take her anywhere with you. If you take her to a lousy movie, for instance, she knows it's a lousy movie. If you take her to a pretty good movie, she knows it's a pretty good movie."

No wait. Wrong illustration. This is an illustration where a father is reading to his children from the Bible, and sharing all of the verses that say that if you're a Christian, you're a Republican. My bad. 

2 comments:

Doug said...

I never read Catcher in the Rye... but it seems that 9 out of 10 crazed homicidal killers say it is their favorite book! Do you own a gun?

Katbron said...

well played sir.